Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A New Look

Last week was the first week of school. Fortunately, it was also the week I decided that we would totally redo and paint our living room (Brandon loves me for things like this... haha!). I am very fortunate to have a patient husband because this project certainly took lots of it from him. I first gathered about 100 paint swatches. It took me a few weeks to decide on colors. Finally, I decided to do three of the walls a nuetral green color and one wall a beige to accent the green. So we went and bought all the paint and supplies and got started. The next day after all of it was done, I nearly had a meltdown. I did NOT like it at all!!! At first Brandon was like, "Oh well! That's what we have to work with Sarah. You will have to live with it." Well, I was not going to live with it. So I told him to go to the gym and I called my friend Krystal for help! She suggested I just cover the green up with the beige color and paint one of the walls back to white. So I went with my friend Carey back to the paint store to buy more of the biege paint, some white paint and some primer. With the help of friends, we were able to finish the project that night and I am very happy with the new look. Here are some pictures from the process:

Brandon taping our white walls.

Here is the green that I thought would look amazing (although I think it looks a lot limier than on the swatch).

So I was kind of excited about the color at first. It didn't seem so bright then.

Still loving the green...

Ok... At this point, both Brandon and I were like "Wow. We really like the beige.. but the green... hmmm... not sure what to think."

At this point I was really second guessing. These colors just did NOT look good together but I didn't know what else to do.

Can you tell this picture was taken late at night?

Here are the friends that saved us!!!! Thank you Rikki and Jason! You really did save the day (I guess I should say night) for us.

Afterwards:
I don't think these pictures quite do it justice. They make the color look brighter. You have to see it in person to really see what it looks like but these pictures will have to do for now. I have the right side of the curtain arrangement all bundled up so that we can still use our air conditioner for the next few weeks. Then we will take the AC unit out and fix the curtains.

I had a really hard time shooting the pictures because I could not get any good ones but this will have to do. A big thanks to everyone who helped keep me sane during the week as well!!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

sORRY it didn't turn out like the place of your dreams.
I love it now though. I can't wait to see it........hang on I NEVER LEAVE MY HOUSE LOL
Oh well, maybe one day right!
Hey book club I'll see it.
Anyway I REALLY wanted our kitchen to be yellow at our house in Utah and Dru let me FINALLY choose my own colour. It was called Daffodil, you know the flower?
Anyway we got it on the wall and it looked like CONSTRUCTION YELLOW. I was so upset.
We put 1/4 'construction' and 3/4 white and that's the colour on the wall now.
LOL

Teresa Kauer said...

It was really fun to see your experience with paint, especially cause I have been deciding on paint colors myself the past couple of weeks. At first thought, I decided to ask for a bunch of gallons for Christmas from Ben's parents, but then I realized I had better only buy one till I see the color on a wall. I'll probably just have them get me a gift card to Home Depot.

I really like how it turned out. The color looks similar to what I want for my main color.

So did you buy a house or something?? I guess I will probably find out if I read farther.

I found a house I want to buy, but we aren't ready yet - not till Ben gets a raise. Luckily it is an old lady selling it who doesn't have the house on the market yet :)

amber said...

it looks great sarah! i'm jealous, i wish we could paint our apt. . .i guess we could, we would just have to paint it back white before we left? :) but i really liked the green color! but i also really like the beige color too! :) and, there's more! i really love the idea of having a picture of you both when you were little kids and one of you guys together, super cute idea! :)

Liz and Peter said...

How fun! I would love to paint our apartment....
I always seem to start big projects at the worse times too. How was Brandon's first week back? The second year seems a lot smoother than the first

Quinn and Tiffany said...

I love your new look for the blog and the picture. It looks so good. It sounds like you had fun painting :)

Steve and Sylvia Bushman Family said...

I wish I liked to paint! I am sadly lacking in the normal Mormon woman skills of decorating, painting, scrap booking, and sewing! You make it seem almost fun....though it seems as scary to me as a fabric store! I think choosing a color and the right mix seems sooo hard. It looks good....turned out sooo good!

Anonymous said...

the the cream, it turned out great. I can't wait to see it in person.

Darren and Tessa said...

I think painting is so FUN, Im glad you did it! Ill have to some see it sometime.